In Part II of Worship 101, we pick up with point number 3: “Why Do We Worship”. If you missed Part I, click here.
III. WHY DO WE WORSHIP?
1. First and foremost: Because He is worthy! (1 Chronicles 16:25)
2. The Bible says to! (Too many references! Here are just a few)
Heb. 13:15,16 – “through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise – the fruit of the lips that confess His name. And do not forget to do good as you share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.”
Romans 12:1 – Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God –this is your spiritual act of worship.”
1 Chron. 22:19a – Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the Lord your God.
1 Chron. 16:29 – Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name. Bring an offering and come before Him; worship the Lord in the splendor of His holiness.
3. We can’t Help it! – Worship is the only natural response when you come into God’s presence. Or even come any where NEAR God’s presence. Even the apostle John was tempted to worship an angel…(Revelation 19:10) (Psalm 150:6 Says “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord” notice it doesn’t say “make” everything praise the Lord) Even the rocks will cry out in worship if we don’t (Luke 19:40)
- His mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:23) – that would be a good time to worship Him.
“Praise in the morning when the sun is still arising…praise him in the evening cause he took me through the day…” praise him in the evening…
- Any time you think of God is an opportunity to worship Him.
- “Every blessing You pour out I’ll turn back to praise.” We can praise Him when we recognize his blessings (and James 1:17says every good and perfect good comes from him).
- Job lost everything he had including all of his children in the span of about 60 seconds, and what was his response? “he fell to the ground in worship and said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.” I would like to suggest that we ought to worship God in every circumstance at all times. At least, that is the goal.
Corporately – In a church (Acts 2:42 – “They devoted themselves to the apostles teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.”)
Privately – in a closet (Matt 6:6 – “But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray ro your Father, who is unseen.)
- In your car
- In the wilderness, out under the moon & stars,
- In a museum looking at beautiful artwork (art is just mankind acting in the image of God – doing a little of what he does – creating),
- At the playground (children are an incredible example and a picture of how amazing our creator is)
- In the middle of the city (if you love engineering marvels, you can worship the God who put the laws of physics in place, and who gave men minds with the ability and desire to create amazing structures),
You can worship God anywhere and anytime. And I encourage you to do so. The more often you worship God, the more you reap the benefits.
I’ve created a list of recommended worship CDs. These are just my personal favorites so far, but I hope to collect a list of other people’s favorites and publish the top picks here as well. The list of my recommendations is available at the Resource Center on the patio, and online at our website. In fact, from the website you can click through and purchase the CDs directly. Also, there are a handful of my personal favorites available for sale at the Resource Center.
…Tune in a few days from now for Part III of “Worship 101 – The Who, What, When, Where, Why and How”